Fort Dodge had a National Guard infantry company (Company G, Fifty-Sixth
Infantry), but its armory building was thought to be too small and too
far downtown. The Quist Band's finances would be stabilized by becoming
a regimental band; and since there would be additional rent coming from
the state if Fort Dodge had a regimental band, a new armory building was
proposed. The Fort Dodge Commercial Club guaranteed the raising of $8,000
for that purpose, and in 1904 the new National Guard Armory was built near
the corner of 1st Avenue North and 7th Street. It served as the band's
rehearsal hall until the end of 1910 when the band severed their relationship
with the National Guard. This had been a time when there was still no bandstand
in City Square Park, so a wheeled trailer was used as a moveable bandstand.
The portable platform, which measured 16 by 18 feet when the sides were
dropped, was stored close to the armory and loaded with chairs and stands
for the summer concerts held on different street corners each week.
The armory building survives today as the Laramar Ballroom.