At age fourteen Carl Quist came from Denmark with his family to Rutland, Iowa. Before settling in Fort Dodge, Carl Quist had taught and directed a band at Rockford College in Rockford, Illinois, and then traveled around Iowa and started bands in several towns. This tied in well with his sales of band instruments. It is thought that Mr. Quist might have arrived in Fort Dodge in 1898, when he began making a living by selling uniforms and instruments for a local businessman. Carl, who was always described as an excellent musician, started a piano repair and tuning business while he directed a variety of small local bands. He married a Fort Dodge musician, a piano teacher named Isabel, who bore him a daughter, also named Isabel. The daughter was only four years old when Mrs. Isabel Quist died in 1910.
Carl later remarried, and although some newspaper accounts say he was an excellent violinist, Oliver Paul Quist (Carl's son) reports that he didn't play that instrument at all, but enjoyed being pictured holding his new wife's violin.
|Miss Hazel Schroeder was a local music teacher who moved with her
parents to New York City to receive her training on the violin (perhaps
at the precursor to Julliard). She played in an orchestra there and
also provided music for silent movies. Newspaper articles show that
when she returned to Fort Dodge she would often solo with the 56th Regimental
Band conducted by Carl Quist.
Eventually, the orchestra conductor and the violin soloist would marry. The newspaper articles reflected the change by calling her Hazel Schroeder-Quist. The two lived in Fort Dodge where Hazel continued to teach as well as raise their family (Isabel from his first marriage, as well as Oliver and Mary). There were several years (1903, 1904) when husband and wife worked together in Fort Dodge to put on locally reknown productions of Gilbert and Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore and The Pirates of Penzance in the old Midland Theatre. This was on the corner of Ninth Street and First Avenue South where the Warden is today.
In 1915 the Iowa Military Band was renamed the Fort Dodge Municipal Band. That year, however, the town of Eagle Grove enticed Carl Quist to take over duties with their municipal band.
May 27, 1915
next page - online photo archive
|the Karl King Page